Friday, July 4, 2008

Where is my eth0 in ubuntu linux?





Last week I had big trouble with a server running Ubuntu Linux. This server was running as a virtual machine in a VMWare, then we moved to other server and we lost all network connections.
So we panic, the users start to call, etc...

The error is see when I tried to start the interfce was:

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device eth0
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device


So you just have to do this steps:
1.- Ran "ifconfig -a" and copy the mac address.
2.- Edit the file "etc/iftab" and change the mac address.
3.- Reboot the computer.

I hope this post is usefull to somebody, because it took me a little long to find it in google.

1 comment:

Matti Haavikko said...

I had very similar problem after upgrading my debian etch in vmware.
Running "ifconfig -a" and editing MAC address configuration in
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
helped.